Summer Sailing in the Dodecanese Islands
Sat 15 – Sat 22 September 2018
Back To Basics Aegean Cruise
Our Summer Sailing The Dodecanese Islands week will be a one week back to basics Aegean (Greek Islands) cruise. The Dodecanese are in the most oriental area of Greece, in the southeast part of the Aegean Sea and located just a couple of kilometres from Turkey. We’ll be starting our trip in Kos which is noteworthy as the birthplace of the physician Hippocrates the “father of medicine”.
After leaving Kos we’ll be heading North and leaving the bustle of tourism behind. All the islands we’ll visit are small quiet places where the pace of life is slow and tavernas on the water’s edge are a world away from city life.
Our itinerary will take us as far north as the island of Patmos. This is where Saint John the Apostle received and recorded an apocalyptic vision – the Book of Revelation. You can visit the Cave of the Apocalypse where John received his Revelation and the fortified Monastery named after him both of which are now World Heritage sites.
- In Leros you will find fresh fish at the open fish market.
- Kalymnos is famous for it’s natural sponges.
- Lipsi market sells “fookadia” – cloth pouches used to strain cheese.
- Kos has a natural hot spring on its south coast.
- Marathi – a paradise for people who are suffering from burnout
- Pserimos – worth discovering before the rest of the world does
Set apart from the chain of Dodecanese islands is the remote island of Levitha. Here you’re right off the planet due to being 25 miles from the nearest civilisation. Only a lighthouse keeper and a shepherd live here and they have a small taverna in their back garden. If you ask for an omelette and chips, expect the chips to be delivered inside the omelette!
This is not a sheltered area and the summer wind can blow F7-8 due to the Meltemi winds. Our charter period is at the back end of this season so the winds will have eased. You should therefore be prepared for some good sailing.
September temperatures are a pleasantly hot 27 degrees with an average of 10 hours sunshine per day. The sea is at it’s warmest, as much as 25 degrees.
Important Trip Information
The Dodecanese Islands
Embarkation: 1700 on Sat 15 September 2018
Set sail: 1000 on Sun 16 September 2018
Arrival Back in Kos: 1700 on Fri 21 September 2018
Disembark: 0900 on Sat 22 September 2018
The member price of the trip for the yacht charter is £550
Not included in the event price are flights, transfers, personal insurance, victualling, meals ashore, diesel, water, mooring fees, end cleaning and any personal expenditure.
The Club’s standard terms and conditions apply. Full details can be found here but most noteworthy are:
- Paying your deposit commits you to the trip and, therefore, to paying all payments as and when required.
- If you withdraw from an event you are still liable for the full cost unless a replacement participant is found.
- If a replacement is found there will be an admin charge made for the change of participant.
- You agree to bear the shared cost of any security deposit loss levied by the charter company as a result of damages.
The full cost of the deposit is up to 3300 Euros per boat.
|Mid Payment||1 March 2018||£250|
|FInal Payment||1 May 2018||£200|
Return flights to Kos are available from London for approx £275.
Do not book flights until advised to do so by the event organiser.
Members must log in to book.